This recipe is featured in my previous post Are you getting enough protein?
This recipe provides a hearty serving of plant-based protein from quinoa and chickpeas. It’s also easy, inexpensive, and makes leftovers. Perfect for when I don’t have time to cook multiple times throughout the week.
And of course I added as much kale as I had because the texture is great in soups and stews and adds plenty of nutrients!
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Poblano pepper, seeded & chopped (optional)
- 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth (or water)
- 1 can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- ½ green pepper, chopped
- ½ cup corn
- 1 TSP chili powder
- 1 TSP cumin
- 1 TSP smoked paprika
- As much kale as you want, chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Splash of lime juice
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat, add quinoa and onion, cooking until onion is translucent. Add garlic and jalapeno to the mixture, cooking until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add canned tomatoes, chicken broth, chickpeas, green pepper corn, chili powder, cumin and smoked paprika into the quinoa mixture.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the liquid has been absorbed into the quinoa. This will take about 15-20 minutes.
- Take off heat. Season with salt and pepper and stir in cilantro and lime juice.
This recipe is originally from Kayla Itsines’ blog.